Short Track Medal

Short Track Medal

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Intarsia ... Smintarsia! Weasley Sweater Initial

I did it! It's not perfect but it's very good. I gave myself an A-. I accidentally carried the yarn across 4 sts on the back. Once. Also, I wrapped in reverse on the straight part of the D.
Here's what I did"
1. Downloaded and installed the "Lumos" font. You can find that on the web in many places and it's free. There is also Parseltongue and Harry Potter.
2. Opened up Word and typed a "D" in font 650. I printed it out on plain white to hold it up to the graph paper to kinda get the right actual sized letter.
3. Went to to print my own graph paper. It's cake. You only need do a little bit of math. See how to do it here. I read some tutorials on knitting intarsia.
4. I printed out the graph paper and printed out my "D" and miraculously, it fit in the grid nearly exactly after a few tries. (22 sts over 32 rows). Here it is. (oohs and aahs are welcome, I worked hard on this!)

5. Did a little penciling in. Unfortunately, with knitting there is no 'half cross' like in cross stitch. The "H" in the Weasley sweater is lots easier than making a curvaceous "D". I think I made it round part on the right a little too wide but it's very nice.

I then practiced for a few rows with some scrap yarn. Highly recommended and not a total waste of time. I then wound my bobbins onto 4 or 5 clothespins and .. knit. Across. I twisted, I followed, I dealt with the horrow of several bobbins strewn about. Suggestion: Do this at a table not in your lap. Kinda a pain, I know. I like the rocking chair best but this was only for 32 rows, I sucked it up. I twisted, I untwisted. I cursed a little, dagnamit! I asked God what possessed me to have TWO children who EACH want this and why I didn't name them Larry and Lisa because there would probably be nothing too difficult about making a damn L.
Then...I was done. Voila. It doesn't look as messy in person and it looks even nicer from far away, see below. It has that Weasley look, don't you think?

I will, naturally, show you this more than just here. I still have to weave in the ends which will tighten up the stitches and bring it all together (yeah...I think so anyway). I'm happy with it.
The Weasley sweater now has a back, a front and a letter. I need to knit a few more rows (like 10) and graph the shoulder seams. Then, pick up sts at the armholes and knit the sleeves. I am going to pick up each side and knit two sleeves at the same time because I hate to worry about counting the rows and thinking forever that one is longer than the other. They'll be fine.
For those of you who want the cliff notes, this is Cascade 200, red and yellow gold. I am using a size 8 needle and I am getting row gauge and I'm just a hair under in st gauge (about 1/4 of a st each inch). I modified the pattern to have four rows of k1p1 ribbing at the waist instead of just plain stockinette.
I love it! Happy Weasley Sweaters! YAY!


Elizzabetty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizzabetty said...

Looks great! Nice work!