Short Track Medal

Short Track Medal
Yahoo!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Amazing Lace, Take II and Disco Socks

For those of you who remember, awhile back, I wanted to make the Waving Lace pattern from Favorite Socks. I chose Lorna's Laces Douglas Fir, a beautiful greenish blue yarn, and didn't like it. It was just, I don't know, too loose, too lacy for me. This time, I picked up some Brown Sheep Wildfoote in Blue Blood Red at The Village Knitter and whipped out the pattern again. The pattern is lovely. I thought that it would be more interesting to knit but it wasn't. I like the way the scalloped cuff looks, also very pretty, but I don' t know if I will like wearing these. They are just a teeny bit too big for me. I wanted to end the pattern in a place where it would even out the pattern and I wanted to use my Harmony needle size 1.5 (2.5mm) or the next size up or because I was camping when I started these and had them with me. I should've gone down a bit. Maybe that was the problem with the Lorna's Laces? I will have to look back at my notes and check.

But anyway, now, appearing for the first time in public as a FO, I give thee, Waving Lace.


Pattern: Waving Lace from Favorite Socks

Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote, Blue Blood Red

Start Date: August 7, 2008 - Completed: August 20, 2008

Needle: Knitpicks Harmony Circular, size 1.5, 2.5mm, 64 sts casted on.

You can see that they are a wee bit baggy on the blockers. :( But they do fit ok. They're not big enough that they will bunch up in my shoe. Maybe I will give them away to someone with bigger feet than me. I was very concerned that that funky ribbing wouldn't be elastic. It's not very elastic, actually. If I make these again, which I might, they're really pretty, I would use regular ribbing for the cuff.

A nice segue into my next topic, itty bitty socks. DD is going to start Kindergarten. She did not hesitate to take me to The Children's Place and select an entire new wardrobe. She picked out several dresses, a few skirts, a pair of pants, tights and some argyle knee socks. We also went to the shoe store and got a new pair of sneakers and a new pair of shoes. Now, she wants sparkly hand knit knee socks to go with her little shoes. Patent Leather...Mary Janes. Now, I don't spoil DD (well, maybe just a little); however, the poor child was in need of clothes. She grew about 5 inches since January and has moved from a size 4 to a 6! Her feet got bigger, too. She really needed new clothes because pretty much nothing fit her from last year. Here's my new project.

Pattern: Elongated Corded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks.

Yarn: Schoeller + Stahl Fortissima Colori Disco Socka
Start Date: August 20, 2008
Needle: Knitpicks Harmony Circular, size 2, 2.75mm, 40sts casted on
.

Aren't they cute and little? Let's call these Disco Socks. That k2, p2 ribbing is so itty bitty. I started my swatch with 48 stitches which was too big. being these are knee socks, I was thinking that I would make the cuff and over the calf with one size and then drop down a needle size for the ankle and the foot. We'll see. Like me, she is blessed with extra wide feet so we'll have to try these on. I'm sure the rib pattern will be very accommodating. I should knock these out in a few days, they're so tiny. All I need to do is stay up late tonight, knit the entire leg and then do the heels tomorrow night or Saturday morning when no one is bothering me. Early Saturday morning, that is; we're having a block party on Saturday so I won't have alot of knitting time.

That's about it on the knitting update for today. Not too much other news going on. The homefront is still here, albeit kinda messy. Because of the growth spurt in little Boobette, I needed to get her a brand new uniform for karate. That means that I have to whip out my sewing machine and put on the 900 decorative patches she has. That should take me a full day, I really suck at sewing. Plus, I'll have to hem the pants, another nightmare for me.

I am really happy with my Froot Loops Socks and the Smooshy sock yarn. I wish that it came in a nice dark green....or more colors. I love it so very much. Maybe I'll buy classy and make myself a Very Harlot Poncho so that I can wrap my body in it. Ponchos usually fit no matter what size one is and being I plan on losing weight, it may be a good project for fall knitting. Plus, planning to my DH a sweater, probably a pullover. I have been eyeing Saranac and looking around for other patterns. We'll see.....

No comments: