Short Track Medal

Short Track Medal
Yahoo!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oooooh....Ahhhh... Alpaca!

I bought 10 oz of alpaca/dorsett at the February Guild meeting and I've been trying to spin it up for two months! It's been on the wheel, staring at me night after night as I worked on other projects. Last night, I finished the spinning and started the plying and made one 100 yard hank.

















This isn't ultra luxurious but it is nice. I'm thinking shawly scarfy thing but we'll see how it is after I wash it and thwack it on the countertop a few times.


























Alpaca is nice but you have to be careful not to overspin, or so I'm told, otherwise it can get coarse. I tend to underspin and it did break on me a bit. It'll be interesting to see how I do when I go back to merino! I was quite happy with how nice this came out and I'm generally hard on myself. I am pleased that I am making useable yarn but I still want to get better. I also want to learn different plying methods and be able to spin even more thinly so I can make 3 ply yarn.

I'll get it.


Nice to see from whence I came a mere six months ago....

















This was some undyed Corriedale that I killed, thick, thin, messy...but, hey, we have to learn on something. The important thing is that I've learned alot and I'm thanking all the nice people I've met at the Guild! Imagine where I'll be in a year!


Now, off to cleaning and working on something else I can't do...a toe up sock.

Oh, and I may even get outside a bit today. Spring supposedly has come to Long Island and it's going to be '60' today. I'll believe it when I see it. It's only 49 now and it's after 10 in the morning.

No comments: