Short Track Medal

Short Track Medal
Yahoo!

Saturday, September 22, 2007

By Janome, I think I've Got it!

Back to the game show.....

Today, I bought something that I've been meaning to buy for a very, very long time. One of those things you think about and never get around to doing. Then, one day, you're old and you say, "Drat, never did do that".

Fortunately, I have lost the desire to skydive. No, I didn't buy four years worth of tuition at a college in a college town. I bought: A Sewing Machine.

I never really owned one before. Back in the day, my mom didn't sew. She really didn't know how and said that sewing on a machine was a difficult task for lefties. In fact, she complained about being a leftie in a right-handed world all the time. She would iron and bowl with her right hand. I grew up in a house with a backwards refrigerator. I always had to switch the loaf of italian bread around to cut it. Once, she bought meat scissors and took them back to the store and told the lady that they don't cut meat. They don't work. I loved them...! So, she never learned to sew. I believe that she knitted in the same direction that I did but she didn't knit continental, which is weird. She crochetted leftie and I taught her to do that by facing her. She claimed you couldn't sew leftie, all the controls were made for the right hand. Surely, there must've been left-handed seamstresses, no? My sister sewed a bit and we had a Kenmore in the house that I used often. She and the machine live in FL now.

Being a musician, albeit former musician, I know the importance of buying an instrument from a store that is an expert in the field. Off to find a machine, I went to an expert. I went to Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew. A mom and pop shop, a blast from the past these days! Located in a double store front only a few miles from my house. A expert. Not to mention, Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew are very, very nice people. Guess what? They're really married to each other (I guess she kept her maiden name.) and they have SEVEN children! Seven children in 19 years. Oh my! They're not two little old people, you know, they're hopping! They are busy! They run the lovely store and they have to run a house with SEVEN children.

Mr. Vac and I sat down and chatted over the Singers in the little room he has set up dedicated to Singers. I walked in pretty set on the Singer Touch N Sew. He recommended a computerized sewing machine. Hmmn..Let's see, the last one I had was a Kenmore and it was fancy because it did zigzag, had a free arm and had a four-step buttonholer. Before that, Home Ec, Mrs. Kelly. She was a meanie but she could really sew. That machine didn't do anything either. He did a nice demo. He then showed me the Janome DC2007LE. It was great and was even cheaper than the Singer. He also showed me two Brother machines that were very, very nice but were really for someone much more advanced than I. I need this to make curtains, do hems, sew patches on my kids karate uniforms, help DD when she becomes a Daisy / Girl Scout, etc. I would love for her to learn crafts and music, too. The Janome DC2007LE seemed to be a great buy, was on sale and was my favorite color: green. (and white!)

Not knowing a Janome from anything, I did a little research on the web and found out that this machine was actually given to Rosie O'Donnell and the studio audience on The View. You can see the clip here. Being it's the end of 2007, Mr. Vac had marked these machines down and I paid way less than the list of $650. It has a lot of nice features found in higher end machines.

Ok, now, I have to take it out of the box and use it! Today, I will. I guess those socks are going to sit some more.....

DD and DS have been enrolled in Karate. They have these uniforms that are huge and the pants have an inseam of like 50. I will need to hem and take them down as needed. DS got his yesterday and DD's should be in this week. She was a little too small for the size 0 and needs the 00. They've gone to two lessons so far and they love it. I want them exercising and this is so good. DD loves to do "FIGHTING STANCE" and "JAM JAM" instead of Jab Jab. They're too little and inexperienced to spar so this is fine. They'll have to do that to get belts later on.

Well, I have to go and play with my new toys. Pictures coming! I can't wait to take it out of the box. My new, Janome DC2007LE...ah....toys!

No comments: